Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Dealerships -- Key to Industry Change

According to several research studies that I have seen over the years, people love going to car dealers and haggling for the "best" deal. Quite frankly, I don't know who these studies were surveying but it wasn't anybody I know. Dealership visits can be very stressful and leave many consumers wondering "did I really get a good deal or did I get ripped off?" Women often complain of being ill-treated during dealer visits.

Some of the better dealerships that I have visited have sales consultants that receive no commission on selling vehicles but are salaried employees of the dealership. This takes away the "game" aspect of price negotiation.

Another pet peeve of mine is local dealership advertising. A local Jeep dealer here in Rochester, NY openly states that "our products are German engineered and American-made, the best of both worlds." An untrue statement given that Jeep's have always been engineered in the U.S. and do not share common designs with their former Mercedes product siblings. I wonder what this dealer is going to say now that Chrysler/Jeep is now independent of Mercedes/Daimler?

Yet another dealer (Fuccillo Hyundai) in Upstate NY, has the absolute worst TV and radio commercials that I have seen in 20+ years in the automotive industry. Click here to see an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQO0v_HEGU0. It is very apparent that this guy likes to hear himself talk and see himself on TV, meanwhile insulting and alienating every possible car buyer in a 50 mile radius.

ugh.....

No comments: